2 cups beer
2 cups water
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp sea salt or kosher salt
1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp unsalted butter (for griddle pan)
1 Tbsp canola oil or vegetable oil
8 oz bacon
1 cup thinly sliced sweet white onion
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp cumin seeds 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2-lbs packaged or bottled sauerkraut, drained
1. Preheat the BBQ to Medium-High.
2. Combine all the ingredients for the cooking broth in a large saucepan or shallow pot and bring to a simmer on the grill. Add the hot dogs or other sausages to the simmering broth and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until warmed through.
3. Put a griddle on the grill, add the butter, and let it melt. Add the hot dogs to the griddle and cook slowly, turning as needed, until colored on 2 sides.
4. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid, and discard the rest (reserve the saucepan).
5. While the hot dogs brown, combine the bacon, canola oil, onion, garlic, thyme, parsley, cumin seeds, and pepper in the saucepan and cook on the grill, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Add the reserved cup of cooking broth and the sauerkraut. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Nestle the cooked sausages in the “fortified” sauerkraut, and serve.